Admission Requirements -
Physical Therapist Assistant Program
The degree is offered through a collaborative arrangement between Capital Community College, Manchester Community College, Naugatuck Valley Community College, Northwestern Connecticut Community College, and Tunxis Community College. Naugatuck Valley Community College offers the specialized courses.
The Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) program uses a selective admissions process based on specific admissions criteria. Interested candidates should have a history of academic success, particularly in science courses. After the applications are evaluated, only the strongest candidates will be interviewed by the Admissions Committee. The deadline for application and submission of all relevant transcripts is October 1 and classes begin in January each year.
Requirements For Admission To The PTA Program:
- Submit an application for the PTA Program, the non-refundable $20 application fee, and official high school and college transcripts to Enrollment Services by the November 1 deadline. Application materials may be submitted while final requirements are in process. (If you are already a student at CCC, please submit a written request to be considered for the PTA Program on your application; no additional fee is required.) For this program apply to one college only or your admission will be forfeited.
- Document completion, within the past five years, of the following two courses with a minimum grade of C: Algebra II and Chemistry or Physics with laboratory. The minimum levels to meet this requirement are Algebra II in high school, Intermediate Algebra (MAT* 137) at CCC, or comparable scores on the College Placement Test; in Chemistry or Physics, the high school course must be general with laboratory, and at CCC the acceptable courses are Principles of Chemistry (CHE* 111) and General Physics I (PHY* 111).
- Within five years prior to entering the PTA program, complete Physiology and Anatomy I (BIO* 211 at CCC) with a minimum grade of C. Applicants who have met all other requirements and are enrolled in this course during the Fall Semester may be offered conditional acceptance to the program based on completion with a B-. Official transcripts or final grade(s) must be submitted as soon as they are available.
- Complete the required College Placement Tests unless exempt. Any required developmental courses indicated by testing must be completed prior to the October 1 application deadline. Applicants who have successfully completed college-level English and mathematics courses are exempt from taking these tests.
- Earn a Quality Point Average of 2.5 for all previous college work.
For initial admission into the program, students must submit documentation of immunization for Measles and Rubella as required by Connecticut Law, and before the start of PTA clinical activities, they must complete and verify all other required immunizations, which will be discussed at orientation.
The Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Program is licensed by Connecticut’s Board of Governors for Higher Education and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education/APTA, 1111 North Fairfax St., Alexandria, VA 22314-1488, 703-684-2782.
Students must be capable of performing the skills of a PTA. Additional information and essential requirements are available through the PTA Program Coordinator at 203-596-2156.