Purposes of Informational Interviewing
- To learn firsthand what it is like to perform a particular type of work in a particular organization.
- To gather information about what types of job opportunities/career paths exist in a given field or organization.
- To develop contacts with key people who either do the hiring or who act as resources for those who do.
- To seek out "problem areas" where you can provide solutions.
- To learn to sell your skills and abilities in a non-threatening, open-ended situation.
Back to Table of Contents