A sentence fragment is a piece of a sentence; it is a group of words that is broken off from a complete sentence. A sentence fragment cannot do the work of a complete sentence because the fragment lacks an independent subject + verb combination. Recognizing sentence fragments and knowing how to correct them will help you eliminate them from your writing.
Chapter 8 helps you to:
- recognize the difference between fragments and complete sentences.
- correct the four most common types of sentence fragment:
- incomplete verbs
- disconnected prepositional phrases
- disconnected verbal phrases
- disconnected dependent clauses